Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Don't forget the legwarmers...

Walking to work from the Metro, I could see college students in matching shirts (presumably RAs or other organization who volunteers their members to help with student move-in days) congregating outside various GWU dorms. I miss move-in day. I miss refusing my parents' help unpacking because I couldn't remember into which box the contraband items. I never thought to mark them in a manner that would be obvious to me and not them. I miss having to make three trips to the store because on the first two trips, I forgot to buy Command hooks. I miss textbook shopping.

I bought new pens the other day because I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to buy some form of school supply. Mayhaps this is the first sign of some sort of academe-psychosis?

*********************

Last night at Tysons with Walt, while shopping for adult-type work clothes, I was thinking of all the things I cannot throw on in the morning and run out the door--namely leotards. I usually had a dance class first thing in the morning. Leotards matching nothing and therefore everything and I wore them religiously. So inconvenient, yet comfortable. If I couldn't get back home to change, I wore them into the afternoon and no one thought that was strange (if they did, I was gleefully unawares). Now, my only excuse for leotards is if I take up yoga classes again or find a place to take dance (this is harder after the age of 14). This is not happening immediately, so there the leotards and capezio tights sit underneath my bed. Sad negleted leotards.

On a related note, I am now almost to a week's worth of pants if I could just remember to take the one way too big pair to the tailor. Actually, I'm going to need to a few things in soon if I keep going to the gym. This is more inconvenient than it seems. Once the weather gets legitimately cooler I will have far more in the way of "work-appropriate clothing." Then I will be able to occasionally buy fun things and avoid stores whose color scheme revolves around beige.

Blah.

No comments: