Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What I do on coffee breaks

Dear Moveon.org,

I enjoy getting e-mails from moveon.org, but do you think you could bring a (perhaps another) copy editor on staff?
"Today's news took even McCain's biggest admirers by surprise. In fact, we just 'found' an amazing video from Billy Mires, the 'real' bus driver of the Straight Talk Express reacting to McCain's impressive technological feat."

The quotations used to set off found and real are correctly used. The wink to the audience that this is a joke is made apparent by their inclusion. However, "watch Billy's video and spread the word by becoming his 'fan' on Facebook?" is a perfect example of when not to use quotation marks. You're neither quoting, as fan is not used sarcastically (presumably), nor is it quoted (rather, in the context, it does not require quotation.)

Please forgive my momentary English-major rage. I wouldn't point it out, but you guys don't want to end up here. I'll gladly continue to read your e-mails and pass them along to friends.

-Meredith

I realize that there are better ways to spend my time. But this was cathartic.

No comments: